Saturday 23 September 2023

9 / 11 - 22 years on

 Twelve days ago, I posted my tributes to two of the fallen from the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York. I always check whether the links on the posts are still viable, and year by year, one link falls. Again this year, which I think is a pity, if not a shame. I do realise that it costs money to keep a website going, but it does show that interest tends to fade a little over time. So much has happened since 2001, and the world is a totally different place to what it was then. 

I'll just draw a parallel to an event that is seminal to the island of Lewis, where I have spent nearly 20 years now. The Iolaire Disaster, now nearly 105 years ago, is commemorated on New Year's Day. But voices are beginning to whisper whether we should not let it slip into oblivion. No. It had a huge impact on the island, which resonates today. 

Similarly, the events of 9/11 will continue to resonate into the future, and those who lost their lives will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment