Thursday, 8 October 2026

Blogoversary #22

 

A sunsplashed photograph of the village of Kyleakin in Skye, 75 miles south of Stornoway. It dates back 22 years, when I was based there for a week or so. Although I had set up a blog some ten days before, it was in Kyleakin that I commenced to blog my activities on a daily basis. 

The big building in the left of the picture was the Youth Hostel, since closed down and converted to residential accommodation. Google Streetview showed me the changes. 

On October 8th, 2004, I went on a hillwalk in southern Skye, to reach the beach of Camasunary. I post a photograph I took 12 days later.



Twenty-two years of blogging has seen me change blogs a few times. I first posted in Northern Trip, which I had to close after AOL ditched its blogging service in October 2008.

I wrote in Atlantic Lines for ten years, before opening A Cobbled Road in 2018. The change always appears to have happened in October, for some obscure reason.

Anyway, over the years I have encountered some great people through AOL, and what we came to call J-land (journals land). Since 2004, some seventy bloggers have passed away; they are remembered in Silent Keyboards - Jland Angels, originally set up by the late Jeannette Oatley. 

Apart from blogging about my own exploits, I have about 70 blogs on my account related to local history and other matters. I hope you have enjoyed reading thus far, and will stay with me for this journey. Here's to year 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment