Monday 19 July 2021

Pianocean

Two weeks ago, I was watching the Scottish news when it featured an unusual musical project, Pianocean. It is about a French pianist, Marieke Huysmans-Berthou. She hails from Brittany and sails in a converted sailing boat, the Lady Flow, with her husband Sebastien, 3-year old son and cat Seabird. A piano was installed on the boat which can be lowered into a cabin, and lifted out on deck. She writes her own songs, accompanying herself on the piano. The project is called Pianocean, and Marieke and crew sail round the coasts of France, Ireland, Scotland. They hope to reach the Faeroes, Iceland, Greenland and Canada in due course. Eventually circumnavigating the world in years to come, weather, covid and circumstances permitting. 

Pianocean reached Stornoway on July 3rd, and two public performances were announced on July 6th and 7th on Cromwell Street Quay. I was absolutely blown away, something that doesn't happen very often. I play the piano myself, and the concept of sailing the seven seas at liberty, indulging one's passion is infinitely alluring. I was present at both concerts, recording the pieces on the first evening. I wish I could have gone along, even though I know it was completely impossible to have done so.

As I type this, Pianocean has called into Canna, Rum and Eigg, and will continue to Muck and Oban. I wish them fair winds, following seas and Godspeed. I can't get the music out of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment