Friday 11 December 2020

Mission Statement - Lewis

So what do I like about being in Stornoway. I am interested in the weather, so never a dull moment. Not even on a dull day like we just had. It's a fascinating wee place, with a lovely park area (called the Castle Grounds) for good long walks. Its history is very interesting, and you don't need to look far to find it. I have come to know some great people here, and hope to expand my scope in that respect in the very near future. I don't mind that everybody knows everybody else AND their business; it is, on the whole, a positive aspect. Life in the island is closer to nature than on the mainland, and Mother Nature throws some very bad tantrums at times. You don't moan about no stock in the shops if you're nearly blown off your feet approaching its doors. I feel that the island culture is unique and strong and am acknowledging its Gaelic roots by trying to learn the language. Tha beagan Gaelic agam, ach tha mi ag ionnsachadh. Duolingo has taught me that much. We've come off relatively lightly (thus far, touch wood) with the pandemic, but a lot of tides will have to come and go before it's all over and we can return to something approaching normality. I have loved this island from the moment I arrived here in November 2004. I hope to be able to spend more time here. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment