Saturday 11 April 2020

Coronavirus - 11 April

Coronavirus has now reached the island. As of this afternoon, six people are confirmed to have contracted the virus. All are self-isolating at home and not requiring oxygen-therapy or ventilation. The concept of self-isolation does not just apply to people in their homes, but also to this island as a whole. The ferry service is taking less than 5% of its normal passenger complement, planes are reduced to a skeleton service and anyone wishing to travel can only do so if it is absolutely essential. Shopping has turned into a turgid, drawn-out affair.

Last Thursday, I walked down the road to our local Tesco. I arrived there at 10.10am, and joined the queue outside between Ferry Road and the entrance to the carpark. I was granted admission at 10.45am, where I received instructions from a member of staff. After assiduously keeping at least 2 metres away from any human being, I emerged at the other end at 11.20 am. Not too bad. I had a shedload of stuff, the biggest shop by a country mile I've ever done in the supermarket and it took the cashier a full 10 minutes to put it all through. I'll spare you the total. I don't mind. It contrasts sharply with the 20 minutes out-the-door, and back-in-the-door shopping sprees I did until last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment