Thursday 22 November 2018

Thursday 22 November

Well, my national blog posting month has fallen by the wayside, I have to admit. I found having to cope with two bereavements within the space of one week a little much to cope with.

Donna Diggins was laid to rest two weeks ago today, and her internet postings have been preserved for posterity. She was known for her beautiful creations, one of which I reproduce below. Donna was a stalwart of our on-line community of bloggers for 15 years, and had suffered from cancer.



Sophia Dale will be remembered at an event in her home island of Berneray. She was born in Australia, but had been living in the Western Isles for over twenty years. A musician and artist, Sophia was well involved with community life, even more so after her move from North Uist to Berneray. I met her in 2013, and found her a great personality, who I shall miss not being able to visit again. I am pleased that her little cat, Torran, is being looked after by one of Sophia's friends. The poor creature continues to look out for Sophia's return.


As I type, darkness is falling on a bright, late November day. We've been lucky in the islands this week, having the sunniest and mildest weather in the country. Today is also Thanksgiving in Lewis, and that's not Turkey Day. Today is one of the quarterly Communions in the Presbyterian Church, and the faithful can be found in church, answering the questions of the catechism. It is also to give thanks to God for a bountiful harvest, both on land and at sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment