Sunday 4 November 2018

NaBloPoMo - day 03

Past midnight, but here is post 3 in the National Blog Posting Month. It's been a wild day in Stornoway, with the wind not subsiding below force 7. In the night, we had gusts in excess of 70 mph. Oscar is not done with us yet, he'll stay around for Sunday as well.

I attended a commemorative event for a friend of mine who died in October last year. Chrisella Ross was a champion of Gaelic language and culture, focusing strongly on story telling. Whether that be World War II veterans telling of their experiences in the Atlantic convoys, or the writing of television plays. I came to know Chrisella as a result of my activities in the field of local history, when she gave me a lift back to Stornoway from Timsgarry - 35 miles. I found her a beautiful spirit, inclusive and kind. She inspired me, indirectly, to write my own short stories, after I attended an event in local arts centre An Lanntair (The Lantern) on the subject. The event was a discussion hosted by Agnes Rennie, with Chrisella's daughter Mairi and a number of friends and colleagues. There was an audible collective intake of breath when a video was played, showing Chrisella talking in front of a house (her own?) - the way we all knew her in life. One of the images that touched me was one taken about 20 years ago, showing Chrisella with a young child and her own parents in the background. In context, it mutely highlighted the passage of time and the transience of life.

Although I did not know Chrisella Ross all that well, her passing did affect me personally. I am pleased that a proper tribute to her life and achievement has now been made. May she continue to rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment