Thursday 17 November 2022

National Blog Posting Month 2022 - #17

I'm just posting a few photographs today, following on from yesterday's post. 

The subject is Loch Erisort, 12 miles south of Stornoway. 

The second photograph is of the Loch Erisort Inn, also known as the Cleitir Inn. I would sometimes nip in there for a coke, at the end of one of my interminable walks. One day, in December '04, I was offered a lift by some worthy locals from one of the villages up the road into South Lochs. At the time, the B8060 road was a windy-winding single-track affair (since double-tracked). My lift-givers had no hesitation to blast down it at 50 mph, tossing empty beercans out of the window as they went along. The 4 miles to Cearsiadar went by quick, very quick - I was grateful for the lift as it was dark. Ahem.  

The third picture shows the approach to Ravenspoint from the east - taken at sunset in January 2008, when I returned for a brief afternoon visit. The spell was gone... 

One story without a picture. The first house in the village of Balallan as you come in from Harris was home to a friend I have since lost - because they moved away under circumstances that are, again, known locally. I would meet the person on the bus into or out of town, or when out on a walk there. That's a long time ago now. I'll turn my gaze back to the present, and better still, the future.

Tempus fugit.



1 comment: