Saturday 2 November 2019

NaBloPoMo #2

As tonight's gale blows through, my memories go back a year today. We would not know for a couple of days, but one of life's bright sparks went out on the tide in the night. The tide, moving from An Radio to the stars, carrying the mermaid beyond the oceans of this world. Rest in peace. I'm glad you were happy, I'm glad you made so many happy.

A day later, it's this Monday, another bright spark was released from pain and suffering in upstate New York. A support to many in the on-line community we have come to know as J-land, an avid supporter of ice hockey and not averse to speaking her mind: Donna succumbed to the ravages of cancer, which gradually got the better of her through 2018. 

I'm not just missing those friends who have passed beyond the confines of this world. I'm also missing those who are not around me just now, for various reasons. These last few days have been very quiet, as one of my closest friends has had to go into hospital for tests. Being of advanced years, such is almost inevitable, but it is hoped a relatively simple procedure will fix whatever had gone wrong these last two weeks. Not changed in spirit, but as always when in hospital, you are dependent on the medics to decide your fate. I hope they will be back, installed in their home of many years, for a good while yet.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your friend is doing better and back home by now.

    I too was thinking of Donna yesterday.

    ReplyDelete