Sunday 14 June 2020

Cycling

I have been doing a fair bit of cycling in recent times, particularly as the weather is very nice just now. Today, I went to the Pentland Road, as far as the turn-off for Achmore, some 4½ miles west of Stornoway, then returned along a rough track that is access to local windfarms.



The Pentland Road is an easy ride. The road was designed to be a railway (in the 19th century), so is mostly level, with only very gentle inclines. Getting there is a different matter. The road lies at an average altitude of 80 metres above sealevel (270 feet), so there is an ascent to overcome. I did that in the Castle Grounds, and local readers will be familiar with the steep road up to the Castle, and the even steeper brae besides the College. On the way back, it is plain sailing down the Lochs Road, where I clocked 20 mph on the slope between Marybank and the Caberfeidh Hotel. Traffic on the roads through the town was light this Sunday, but is much busier on weekdays. The return from the Pentland Road takes me past the council dump, which I would not take on weekdays; there is a steady stream of binlorries and other heavy vehicles on a single-track road with very few passing places, not to mention that blind corner into Bennadrove. As a cyclist, you need to have eyes and ears everywhere; on the single track routes I actively listen out for cars coming up from behind and scan for passing places. A signal is appreciated and usually acknowledged. The traffic roundabouts in town need to be negotiated with care, signalling clearly to motorvehicles coming up from behind, when entering and leaving the roundabout.

17.3 km (10.8 miles) is not a vast distance; I have been known to cycle nearly 25 miles in one day. However, I'm not going to participate in the Tour de France, so 14 kph (9 mph) is fast enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. I used to bike around the neighborhood with Eler Beth. I think my back would lock up if I tried to ride a bicycle right now. It's great that you are able to cycle that far and often.

    ReplyDelete