Wednesday 7 November 2018

NaBloPoMo - day 06

I am even more stunned today than I was since Sunday evening. I got word that another of my friends has died. Sophia Dale, formerly of Tigharry in North Uist, latterly living in Berneray.

I met Sophia in 2013, in North Uist. We had been chatting on-line for a couple of weeks, and decided to meet up. Our first meeting went well, I got on famously with her. Sophia was a free spirit, not bound by convention or expectation. Not averse to walking barefoot, dancing along the road and tramping the machairlands near her home in Tigharry. Also, she loved swimming in the sea. She had a beautiful singing voice, fortunately preserved on Soundcloud and through the shows on local radio station An Radio, 105.2FM in Uist. On our first meeting, I went to Lochmaddy, to play the keyboard in Taigh Chearsabhagh in an open-mike event. The second time was for Taigh Ciuil, in the same venue. Circumstances meant that we would not meet again. I met her little cat, Torran, who is now without her master. A neighbour is hopefully able to look after her.

Sophia, I was privileged to meet you, and am sad we will not meet again in this world.
I admired your free spirit.
You are now wholly free, free from the pain that you shared with me.
Mermaid, swim strong and free. 


Sophia in Lochmaddy, March 2013

Torran

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful memorial for your dear friend, Guido. Thank you for sharing it. Swim on, Sophia

    ReplyDelete