Wednesday 3 October 2018

Journey

I just wanted to share my experiences on the journey from Stornoway to Holland yesterday, October 2nd. It all went pearshape from the word go, when the 7 am ferry to Ullapool was cancelled. I had to hurriedly book a seat on the plane to Inverness, in order to catch the connection to Amsterdam. Flight went well, except for a very bumpy turn over the Moray Firth north of Inverness - the winds were blowing at force 7 from the west, which had also prompted the cancellation of the ferry. After spending a vastly interesting (sarcasm alert) four hours in Inverness Airport, my plane took off at 1.45pm, landing in Amsterdam 75 minutes later, at 4pm local time. Baggage took nearly half an hour to turn up, but then I could go to the station and wait for my train. This left at 5pm, and as Dutch trains have Wi-Fi internet access, I was finally able to go on-line. Arrived at Arnhem at 6.15pm, which meant half an hour's waiting time for the local bus that would take me to my father's home town, 5 miles away.

Another step down the Cobbled Road.

2 comments:

  1. Good you arrived safely. That was a long journey but now you have arrived. Will be following your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pearshape" that's a new term for me. I could almost feel the bumpy, windy turn over Moray Firth - felt like I was taking the trip with you! As always you have a greatly descriptive use of words.

    ReplyDelete